I recently worked a flight to Glasgow, Scotland! I was excited to get back over to the UK again, but I was only going to be there for 24 hours. Also, after working the all-nighter flight from JFK, I had to catch up on rest, so that left me with one afternoon to explore the city.
I arrived at the hotel, took one look at the bed, and I knew a power nap was going to be in the immediate future.
Once I woke up from my nap, I grabbed a map from the lobby and headed outside. I decided I was going to walk and discover things on my own. The only must-see on my list was a street called, Ashton Lane.
Most of the city has wifi, which made finding my location on my phone helpful.
**Make sure to bring a portable charger, because it will drain your battery.
If you are pressed for time like I was, here is a list of must-sees and must-dos when walking around:
- Shop along Buchanan Street
- Go inside the Glasgow Cathedral
- Explore the University of Glasgow
- Sit outside of a cafe, and relax with a cup of coffee or tea- walking from Buchanan Street to the University, is over one mile. So there are a lot of charming cafes along the way!)
- Enjoy a gin cocktail, while people watching- Glasgow is one of the top cities for gin bars. (However, I have never tried a Aperol spritz, so that is what my drink-of-choice was for the night)
- Walk down Ashton Lane- This is an adorable street, lined with string lights, and restaurants with live music. It was definitely the most eye-catching streets I discovered.
Originally, I was planning to go on a half-day tour. But my flight from New York arrived too late in the afternoon to participate. Next time, I want to make a point of coordinating the timing, so I can experience one of the tours.
- Loch Lomond and Whisky half day tour
- Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel tour
- Private Panoramic City Tour of Glasgow
- Travel Guide On-Foot
If if you have any questions about my trip, feel free to ask in the comments below! Where are you traveling to next?